In simple context, VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a collection of discrete computer networks, collectively networked on the internet, which is a public network. Many business organizations use VPNs to connect their customers to their remote data centers. People can use VPNs to access resources that areusually inaccessible due to certain constraints, like not being on the same LAN (Local Area Network). VPN can also be used tosecure or encrypt your network or connection during communications when using an untrustworthy public network.
When connected to a VPN, either a VPN client from your computer system is launched or a link on a special website is activated by a click which results in an exchange of trusted keys and credentials with a server located in a distant geographical location. Once both the systems have verified the authenticity of one another, the information on your system that is sent via internet is encrypted and protected from prying networks.
Uses of VPN
A VPN has its uses in the following:
- Anonymity–Your IP address will be masked to hide your identity from possible hackers. Especially when accessing resources that are outside the purview of the website, your IP address is slithered through many network paths and hence you may be susceptible to be tracked. VPN prevents all this and ensures your privacy.
- Public Wifi security – Suppose you are in a hotel or airport and are using its Wi-Fi connectivity to access internet, you can never be too sure of your identity, privacy or credentials being stolen and used for malpractices. Using a VPN can help you dodge this concern and you can easily go about your business without any hassles.
- Access geo-restricted websites and content – If you are a user of a certain product or website in a location that gives you access just with a set of credentials, but you suddenly had to move to a remote location where the services of said website are not available, then VPN can come to your rescue. You can access the website’s resources remotely by using the VPN, which tags your location as being in an area where the website’s resources are actually available. This helps in business organizations too, where the online products of a certain company are made available to customers in remote locations using a secure and trusted VPN connection.
- Security over Speed – Granted that a VPN ensures high security and anonymity, but using some VPN clients may result in slightly reduced speeds. People who favor security over speed can use VPN to have an undisrupted secure connection, albeit with reduced speed.
Setting up VPN
OpenVPN, an open source application,makes use of VPN techniques to create a secure and encrypted site-to-site or point-to-point connections. Hoasted’s VPN client makes full utilization of OpenVPN’s professional Access Server software and runs on a 2048 bit encryption for data transfer and communication. For users with a known block on the internet resources they wish to use, OpenVPN is the most secure way to browse for the same.
1. Download and install VPN.
2. Download Hoasted’s VPN configuration file.
After the windows installer has been run for OpenVPN, it is ready to use and will automatically associate itself with all the files having .ovpn extension. You will have received an email from Hoasted titled VPN Activation Email which will have the link for downloading your .ovpn configuration file. A file named Hoasted-VPN.ovpnis downloaded to your system.
3. Connect your account to Open VPN.
After the installation of OpenVPN and download of the necessary configuration file, right-click on the configuration file with the extension .ovpn and select the option Start OpenVPN to get it up and running. To exit from the application, use the F4 key.
When OpenVPN starts, it will be configured to work with the credentials of Hoasted. Your email containing the configuration file will also have the username and password required to login to OpenVPN. No other configurations are required to be done regarding settings.
4. Click Connect in the application to connect to the Hoasted VPN.
5. Connect and test your account.
After finishing the former steps, you are ready to connect. You can edit the settings in the OpenVPN program according to your needs.
6. To check if your program is active, you can go to the following link: Check my IP or Google ‘My IP’.If your IP address shows 220.127.116.11, you are connected to the Hoasted VPN. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to email us at email@example.com!