What is website hosting?
A web host, or web hosting service provider, is a business entity that provides the technologies and services needed for the website or webpage to be viewed in the Internet. Websites are hosted, or stored, on special computers called servers.
When Internet users want to view your website, all they need to do is type your website address into their browser. Their computer will then connect to the server on which the website is hosted and your web pages will be delivered to them through the browser.
Most hosting companies require that you own your domain name in order to host with them. If you do not have a domain name, the hosting companies will help you purchase one.
Different Types of Website Hosting Services
- Shared Web Hosting – In this hosting, your website resources are shared with other clients. You take up designated space in the server that is shared with many others. The resources that you might be sharing include bandwidth, Internet connection and memory. This is ideal if you prefer to start small service and require the cheapest type of hosting service.
- Dedicated Web Hosting – In this hosting, you will not share the server with anyone else. You’ll have server dedicated at your own disposal and freedom to install whatever applications you need. These servers are unmanaged and so you’ll be in full control. You can even avail tech support and get everything set up for you. But this hosting is very expensive and require high maintenance. This hosting is ideal:
- Cloud Hosting – This hosting is a new type of hosting that really doesn’t require you to have a specific machine as your server. Site will be hosted on several machines allowing the load balancer to be shared among them. This way, even if one machine fails, the load is redistributed among other machines. You’ll pay only for the resources you use and this hosting can be expensive, but cheaper than dedicated hosting.
- VPS Hosting – Also called as Virtual Dedicated Server hosting, this hosting helps you to reduce the expenses of running a dedicated server by compartmentalizing it to act as multiple shared hosting servers. You can run multiple operating systems and manage applications and sites in compartments. You’ll also have a better control over the allocation of resources.
- if you prefer to have 100% control over your content and applications on the server;
- if you know how to setup, maintain and manage applications
- if you do not want to compromise on the performance and quality
So based on your requirements, preferences and affordability, you can choose the right hosting for your services or website. It is recommended to spend on reliable server and robust solution for your website.