How do I improve my websites’ search engine ranking?
The aim of any search engine is to provide user-oriented results which cater to the user’s needs. Google, for example, uses a plethora of methods to determine which search results are to be displayed in the first few links which the user expects in the course of his/her search.
No two search engines have the same search algorithms but each one can adopt a few things to improve its results. The term for this is Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Below are some tips to make your search engine more optimized –
- Keyword Phrase– A keyword is a specific word or phrase which when used in a search engine, narrows down the results considerably. As the moderator of your engine, you can create algorithms which can identify keywords based on the user’s input and hence optimize results. Your results should ideally contain these keywords in the paragraphs of the results, preferably highlighted, so that the user can get the information faster.
- Keyword Frequency – The frequency of the keyword used is a major factor in optimization. When a user opens a link in the results page, the first or opening paragraph of that page should be what the user needs. So your search engine should collect the frequency of the keywords used to link these pages, and this data should be flagged by the search engine ranker which ensures that your engine is ranked one among the top.
- Naming the Pages – Typically, the search results contain links to the pages which the keyword specifies. Obviously, the search result starting with http://…. , is not click-worthy since they are untitled.So, give a name, ideally with a phrase from within the page, which the user can relate to.
- Hyperlinks – Links to and from your website play a major role in heightening your rank. Use links within web pages as a way to emphasize keywords and exchange links with other websites too (only when relevant).
- Social Networking – Use these platforms to help route user traffic to your website, to a great extent. Be sure to make it social-friendly.
- GUI (Graphical User Interface) – GUIs go a long way in helping your ranking. The more visually attractive your pages are more the traffic that will be routed and hence it will be more noticeable. It goes without saying that good design inspired by popular existing ones (without copying them of course).