What is SSH access?
SSH means Secured Socket Shell and this network protocol provides administrators with a secure way to access a remote computer. It is actually a suite of utilities that implement the protocol. You will get strong authentication from Secure Shell. It secures encrypted data communications between two computers connecting over an insecure network such as the Internet.
This can be used for managing systems and applications remotely so that you can log in to another computer over a network to execute commands and move files from one computer to another.
SSH is based on the client-server model to connect a secure shell client application with an SSH server.
Most operating systems support SSH. You can also expect SSH to support tunneling, forwarding arbitrary TCP ports and X11 connections. By default, the listing port for SSH server is port 22.
There are basically three utilities:
These are the secure versions of the earlier insecure UNIX utilities, rlogin, rsh, and rcp.
Generating SSH Key
1. Log in to your cPanel account.
2. Navigate to Security.
The Security section will be displayed.
SSH facilitates secure file transfers and remote logins over the internet. This connection is encrypted and so is very secure.
3. Click SSH Access.
The SSH page will be displayed.
4. Click Manage SSH Keys.
The Manage SSH Keys section will be displayed.
5. Click on Generate a New Key.
The page to generate a public key page will be displayed.
6. By default, the Key Name is generated.
7. Enter the password for key in Key Password field.
8. Re-enter password for confirmation in Reenter Password field.
You can also use Password Generator to generate a strong password automatically.
9. By default, the Key Type is RSA andKeySize is 2048. You can subsequently select the required values from the respective drop down lists.
10. Click Generate Key.
The SSH Access Key Generation Complete page will be displayed.
You can notice that the newly generated key has been added to section.
11. Click View/Download to see your SSH Access Keys.
12. Click Download Key.
The key will be downloaded. You can use this key for SSH login.
How can I login to my hosting account via SSH?
1. Download WinSCP or PuTTY.
2. Open puttygen, and click the Load button.
3. Click the PuTTY Private Key Files(*.ppk) drop-down menu, and change it to All Files(*.*). Then, select the id_dsa file you just downloaded, and click the Open button.
A dialog box will be opened asking for Passphrase.
4. Enter the password for your key.
5. Click OK.
6. Click the Save private key button to download your private key file.
The private key will be downloaded.
7. Open Putty, under Connection click SSH, then click Auth.
8. Click Browse under Private key file for authentication, then select the private key you downloaded in the last section, and click Open.
9. Click Session and under port enter: 22
10. Enter your domain name, then click the Open button to connect.
11. If you see a PuTTY Security Alert, click Yes.
12. You will see “Login As”. Please enter your cPanel username and then hit Enter.
13. Then, enter the password for your key file and hit enter.